The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Sunday, November 6

Ponderings of a Public School Parent

Sometimes when I'm making Moose's lunch for the next school day my brain gets a-wandering. These are some of the ponderings I had while making his lunch tonight.

I can't help but wonder what other kids are eating for lunch. Not the lunch they get at school, but the sack lunches they're bringing from home. I'm pretty particular about what I pack in his lunch. Bless his heart, the hubs can't replicate what I do without a written, detailed list. Here's a lay-out of his daily lunch.

Snack Container:
granola bar or a few crackers
fruit: half an apple, handful of grapes, half a peach, etc.
veggie: 3 carrot sticks, one stick of celery with peanut butter and raisins (I'll get him up to 2 celery sticks soon. they're still kinda new)

Main lunch Container:
PB&J, Ham and cheese, or chicken nuggets

Second lunch container:
equivalent fruit and veggies from snack container
2 vitamins
cheese stick or yogurt
small treat: 1 cookie or 2-3 small pieces of candy from around the house

That's about it. More or less. If he gets ham and cheese, I usually don't give him a cheese stick. I usually give him yogurt with chicken nuggets. The kid's only been in school a few months, and it's already a fine-tuned rotation. He already knows Wednesday is chicken nugget day. For a while I rotated his main dish. M and Th were PB&J, W was chicken nuggets, T and F were ham and cheese. He went through a ham and cheese boycott, so I'm slowly working it back in. I really need a few more things in my rotation, but he really doesn't mind. He always eats it all. And he told me a while ago he sometimes shares his candy with his buddy, because he asks. And sometimes his buddy shares things with him.

Okay, so those are my slightly OCD lunch-making habits for my kindergartener. And every so often as I'm making his lunch I can't help but wonder what the other kids are eating. Are they eating healthier stuff. Junk food? Shnazzy lunchables? Just curious, I guess. I know I'm doing right by him and teaching him good habits. Even though he still hates peas and whines everytime we tell him there are onions or peppers in dinner. He's healthy and one day he'll thank us. :)

But what are those other kids eating? *shrug* Who knows. I'm sure many of you are thinking I need better things to think about. I know. It's true. :)

1 comment:

  1. I've wondered the same thing. My kids recently qualified for low cost meals at their schools, so we do that because it saves us $$. Before that I was packing their lunch. Brayden's would consist of a sandwich, pb&j or turkey, a fruit (grapes, applesauce, raisins, dried fruit, ect.) and a small bottled water. At first I would pack him a couple crackers or a small snack as well, but he doesn't have a lot of time to eat before the bus came to get him, so I figured if he was still hungry, he could eat more when he got home. He is home at 11:45.

    Stephanie

    Since Sadie would gets to school and eats first thing, I would give her a sandwich (same as above), fruit (although she is more picky with the fruit she likes) and either yogurt or string cheese since it wouldn't go yucky before she ate it.

    It's hard to get the veggies in them. They'll eat them in casseroles, and brayden really likes cherry tomatos and is learning to like carrots a little bit. (I bet if I gave him ranch dressing he would like them) I know they offer the kids a veggie with their school meal everyday, so even if they don't eat it, it still offered to them, and they have the opportunity if they want it. I wasn't packing them a veggie at all.

    So, now you know what mine got!

    ReplyDelete