The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Sunday, May 20

Movie Inspiration

Last night me and the hubs watched the movie Marley & Me. Not only did it inspire me to never want a dog (not really, only sorta) but it made me want to be a writer. I've always enjoyed writing and there were times in my life when I thought about doing some type of writing for a job, but I've never seriously pursued it. But watching the Owen Wilson character in his writing career, finding the style that really suited him best and whatnot made me want to write! So until I become famous for something or another, you'll just have to deal with me here. And instead of writing funny stories about my horrible dog, you can hear about my occasionally horrible children. :)

Speaking of my children, they're all in bed now. The hubs is still back there however, because Munchkin woke up crying when we put the big kids in there. Can you imagine that they don't always walk right in, lay down and go to sleep without a sound? I know it's hard to believe. But they wake her up from time to time. The hubs, I'm assuming, had to pick her up and is now holding her in our rocking chair in their bedroom. There's also a very good chance that he's fallen asleep there and will come out in a few minutes rubbing his eyes. :)  (*A few minutes later: I'm sooo good. That's totally what happened!)

There were a few parts of that movie (I'm remembering as I write) that said some really poignant thoughts about parenthood, and staying at home with your kids. The mother character quit working to stay home with her children. She talked about how you lose every part of yourself that once was important to you, and you essentially become someone else. That can be so true. But she said she wouldn't change it for anything. She also said that if it came down to spending time at work or with her children, she chooses her kids. I feel the same way too. I would hate the feeling of spending my whole work day wanting to be at home with my kids, and the whole time I'm at home with them thinking about work. Not to mention only seeing them for an hour or so at the end of each day. They talked a lot about how no one prepares you for parenthood. Or you hear everything but you just don't listen. Agree, agree, agree. And everyone's experience is different, so no one can really prepare you for what you'll have in store. There were really some great nuggets in that movie, amidst the quite hilarious dog shenanigans. All in all, I felt reaffirmed in my choice as a stay at home mother, and somewhat comforted in how hard it is.

So if you haven't watched that movie, you might enjoy it. Especially if you like dogs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment