The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Friday, May 13

Oh Monkey...

It seems like she is ready to lose her pacifier and be potty-trained at the same time. Although I have to admit that I want to lose the paci first, because I can't imagine my potty-trained kid still having a pacifier. Granted, it's only supposed to be for bed. (She occasionally will wander around with it after waking up.) I think it'll work out that way anyhow, only because I can't tackle potty-training while the hubs is still working. But losing the paci is something I think I can do. Lately she's been sleeping without the paci in her mouth non-stop. So I know she doesn't need it to sleep. It's just a comfort for falling asleep. She also likes to remove her own diapers, and even try to wipe herself. She can take her own pants on or off. I think that's one of the big signs they're ready for potty-training.

Today when she had a poopy diaper, she brought me some of Moose's undies. We have some potty-training girly ones (very thick) plus some plastic undie covers, so I showed her the girly undies and we put them on. After we changed her, I put her potty-seat on the toilet so she could sit on it whenever she needed to without my help. She sat on it right away, caught up in the excitement of it all. She didn't do anything. However, within five minutes or so, she peed. She let me know by bringing me another pair of undies and telling me she was wet, and they were dry. So I changed her, talked to her about using the potty and let her wear another pair. Fortunately, her bladder was pretty empty that time since she had just had a diaper change. A while later, she had another accident with a bit more in her bladder, so I had to do some spot cleaning on the carpet. After that one, we put the diaper back on.

I'm sure we'll get there eventually. I'm pretty sure that it will be over the summer while the hubs is home (maybe) and we can put more attention into it. Otherwise it'll just have to wait until the Munchkin doesn't suck up as much of my time and attention so I can devote more to making sure she's not peeing on my carpet. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, trying to potty train while caring for a newborn is one of the most stressful things. You are wise not to put too much effort into it right now. Monkey may be showing signs of readiness, but my first was showing signs of readiness for a whole year before his physical readiness finally caught up with his mental/emotional desire.

    And who knows? Maybe Monkey will eventually give up on waiting for you to be ready and just go off and potty train herself (we can wish, right?).

    ReplyDelete