The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, April 7

Crying Girls and Boogies

During the first month of my morning sickness (read all-day sickness), I quit giving my girl's naps. For Monkey this wasn't a problem. Munchkin however slowly devolved into someone who whined at dinner every night and was otherwise cranky every evening. We quickly learned that on days she had a nap, she was much more pleasant and easy to handle. The only pro was that she fell asleep fast. Very fast. Now that I'm out of the sicky woods, I've tried to restore a semblance of order that once was. I'm cooking dinner again (the hubs did it for like 5 weeks straight. The man is a hero), cleaning, doing preschool with Monkey at home and even playing with my girls during the day (although they've gotten super good at playing together due to my sicky period).


At the top of my "fix-it" list was to get Munchkin taking naps again. Boy has it made such a difference! We had one week of good days of me putting things back together. Then spring break hit and she went multiple days without naps. On those days she would cry like you stole her puppy. Multiple times a day. The slightest provocation and it was tear-factory. One of those days was her birthday. So not fun. I am so glad we've gotten back to her nap-routine. For her emotional stability, the girl needs a nap! She doesn't always fall asleep nearly as fast, but it's worth it. Honestly. To not have to soothe a freaking out 3 year old multiple times a day makes the delay in her falling asleep worth it.


Besides, she'll just do what her siblings do when they're in bed and not sleeping. Pick her nose. Seriously, this might be a different post altogether, but what is it with kids and picking their noses in bed? Munchkin does it habitually right after we sing her songs. We're so used to it, we bring her a tissue and she's really good about putting her finds right into a tissue and in the trash. It wasn't until recently that I learned (upon doing some touch-up work on the girl's paint in their room) that Monkey was smearing her business on the walls at nighttime. Seriously? We already trek across the house to bring Munchkin a tissue to avoid uncouth behavior with nose-business. I would have brought her one too. So now, under order from the High Queen (me) and under threat of something terrible, she knows to use a tissue as well. We even put a box in their room and their own trash can. (Although Munchkin still has us bring her one. Whatever. If it keeps the business out of her mouth and off my walls I'll do it.)


So yeah, two posts combined, but that's okay. It's all in the name of love, right? I love my kids, so I deal with this stuff? Yeah, pretty much.

1 comment:

  1. Bub does the same thing. I moved his bed once because I was having a hard time getting the sheet off. It was disgusting back there. And dried boogies are hard to clean of walls.

    ReplyDelete