The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, April 14

Satisfying Sunday

I didn't end up posting Sunday because I was so worn out,  but in the best way. It was such a great day. I was feeling super positive and energetic. I ended up having a lot of great bonding time with Moose. He actually started out having a bit of a rough day.


Sometimes he gets negative about Sundays. In our family Sunday is a day to go to church and have family time. We don't go shopping, we don't go out and play sports or hang out with friends. We don't watch regular television or play our normal computer games. We try to make it a different day, set apart from the week. Lately, this has been rough for Moose.


Sunday started out that way a little bit. But as the day went on he was fine. When I got back from church choir practice (I'm the pianist) we were all sitting around having a snack. At one point, Moose and Munchkin were both put in time out for continuing a game I asked them to stop. A little while later, Moose lost his snack (a bowl of popcorn) for disobeying the hubs. At this point, he went to his room and sulked. I was in my bedroom at the time reading my scriptures. I went in to his room and talked about what had happened. Turns out he had already had one time out before I came home, and then add on the two other things that happened and he was not having a good day. We had already talked about doing the "important" things (reading our scriptures and writing in our journals) before we played a board game or did something fun. So I asked him if he wanted to join me in my bedroom to do his important things with me. The girls were off playing a game and I knew we could be away form the rest of the family. I had just read my scriptures and was doing some additional reading, then journal writing. Moose decided that was a good idea. So he joined me in my room.


In my room, we quietly did our important things. After he read his scriptures, we talked about what he read and had a little discussion. I love those discussions with him. Then he wrote in his journal. He wrote all about his basketball game Saturday, the last of the season. We talked about that too. Then when he was done, we discussed the different fun things we could do with the rest of the day. We decided that after we were done with our important things (the hubs included) we would play a game. He wanted to play Scattergories. After dinner, we made lemon tea cookies together. He picked the recipe. I had him read to me each step of the instructions and all the ingredients and their measurements. He measured and poured and did as much as possible. He even spooned out one cookie sheet of the cookies. It was so much fun! He did such a good job too! Afterwards we were able to share our creations with everyone. It was such a satisfying day!


Not every day is like that. He had his rough moments, but I totally handled it like a pro. It felt so good! I loved being able to communicate to him in ways that worked for him. Being in school during the day, he doesn't get a lot of big one-on-one time with me, so it was such a treat. I've thought in the past that his language of love (if you're unfamiliar with that concept, look up the book "The 5 Love Languages. Highly recommend it.) is quality time. Which he doesn't always get, though we do try. So this was such a great day for me to share my love for him with some really great quality time. Like I said in the beginning, I was too tired to post, but for all the right reasons.


Sometimes you just have to document a day like this, because they aren't so common. But remembering them helps you to know that they do exist and they'll happen again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment