The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Saturday, February 20

It's always your fault...

Today I was reminded that even though Moose almost broke my typewriter (yes, I'm kinda weird and have an old electric typewriter) that it was still my fault and he cried at me. How does this become my fault? I really don't know. Nonetheless, it was. It took a good 10-15 minutes before he was able to calm down enough to accept that he needed to apologize to me.  Then he learned that it's not a toy, and he can only use it when I'm with him. To ensure he doesn't do whatever it was he did the last time. After it was all said and done, the lesson I learned? It doesn't matter who broke it, it's still my fault.

Another moment of teaching today. (For me or the kids?...sometimes I'm not sure.) It's not okay to push your sister over, make her cry, and walk away. I can imagine how that might seem okay in the mind of a 3 1/2 year old. But really, it's not okay. I had to explain this to Moose a few times. Eventually he said "ok". I always thought my child was somewhat superior in his moral compass. Up until now that is. Now I realize he is any other boy who likes to push, shove and wrestle, and if someone cries about it, he walks away like he had nothing to do with it. You know how they say ignorance is bliss. I can see how that is true in parenting. But I'm glad I know my children aren't perfect. I'd hate to be one of those painfully oblivious parents who thinks their kid is an angel as they terrorize other kids and possibly even adults. I'm okay having my ignorance bubble burst.  If it helps me be a better parent, so be it.

How about a little bit of glory today? (For those of you who haven't caught on yet, that's my term for something great today that helps me to continue being a good parent each day, and reminds me that kids are pretty great.)

Monkey has a binky. No, this is not a pacifier. She has 5 of those. But in our family a binky is a small baby blanket. With my gems (again, if you haven't caught on yet, that's a collective term for my little guys. I'm Jewels, they're my gems.) theirs are literally quite small. I was attached to mine for quite a few years, I'll admit. With this in mind, at least if they drag them around, they won't literally be dragged. Anyhow, after reading Monkey her story for a morning nap, I pick her up, stand by her crib and give her her binky. It has a little Winnie the Pooh head on it. She likes to press her forehead/eyes area against the Pooh and make a moaning/Mmmm sound. It's so darn sweet. I'll repeat it back at her and we'll go back and forth until she's done. Sometimes a good 10-30 seconds, depending on her mood. I absolutely love it. It's such a sweet, tender thing that makes me smile inside. It's the little things that keep us going. The little moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment