The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Wednesday, February 17

There's no I in TEAM...

If any of you were/are athletes, you know the response to this is: But there is a ME.  Same goes for MOTHER. There's no I, but there is a ME.  As I've thought today about the things I can share and write about, I realized that there's so much more to motherhood than just the children. Certainly, having them gives you the title of mother, but it doesn't make the "me" disappear. As most moms will tell you, the ME often gets put on the back burner. In many cases, way too often. However, so much of the work in being mother is re-defining ME and making sure it doesn't get lost. So along with the ins and outs of motherhood with regards to my gems (a sweet term I like to use for my little ones) I will most definitely have something to say about the ME in MOTHER.

Every single day there are sweet, precious moments that make you think to yourself "Ahh. I love being a mother. My children are so sweet. This is so great." or other nice thoughts such as those. However, there are also those non-glorious moments that produce gray hairs, test your sanity and possibly produce not so nice words with a not so nice voice. Here are my top two for the day:

Not so glorious: Being interrupted during my shower (mid-afternoon, because sometimes if you are even lucky enough to get one, that's when it happens) by Moose who says he needs to go poo, and then hearing Monkey in the background screaming because his getting up from his nap, woke her from his. (They share a room. Often it's unfortunate, but in general works out okay. But don't get me wrong, I'd spring at a 3 bedroom if it cost the same.) This more or less signaled the end of nap time. Oh yay.

Glorious: Watching Monkey take 6 consecutive steps this evening, with a humongous grin on her face. (and for those who know our children, they have pretty large mouths, which make these grins all the more endearing.) It's not like I have anything to do with her ability to walk. It just makes you feel good inside to see how your kids are growing. It really feels like just a few months ago that she was born. (I'd say it feels "just like yesterday" but it doesn't feel quite so fresh.) She's only 10 months old, but already taking such leaps and bounds. I know that oftentimes a second child will take mobility with much more gusto than the first because they're always trying to keep up. It's such a joy to watch. And she's so aware of what she's doing, so that when she does, it is visibly obvious that she is extremely pleased with herself. Glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment