The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Thursday, February 18

What makes a day...

It may seem like such a simple thing, but to me it's the difference between a good day and a not so good day. Well, it's a nice contributing factor anyway. This morning I was able to take a shower. All by myself. Without any interruptions. That is so nice. I know I could have this more regularly if I really tried hard, but sometimes if you have to try that hard just to get one, it takes the fun out of it. Anyway, this morning I was able to have that time. All to myself. Not only that, but I took the time to get dressed, and ....trumpets announcing.... did my hair. I may not be like every mom out there, but for me this is a big deal. If I actually have the time and energy to dry my hair and - cherry on top - style it, I'm headed for a good day. Granted, all of this can be easily taken from my by sick, grouchy, grumpy, angry, fighting, screaming children. Luckily for me, that hasn't happened...yet. The day is young. But for now I'm reveling in the fact that I actually feel pretty (something that may come hard once you have kids. Others may still look their best all the time, but I know I sure don't.)

I did just put the gems down for their nap. They nap in the same room, together, at the same time. Isn't that just sounding like a recipe for disaster? It does. I know. And there are days like yesterday, that become just that. All it takes is Moose needing to go poo after 45 minutes (their naps usually last for 2 hours, sometimes 3 if I'm lucky.) and in the process of finding me in the shower, wakes up his sister, who is now screaming as I hurrily rinse off my face wash and cover myself in something before I trail water all the way to their room to help her go back to sleep. Despite those types of days, I do somewhat regularly have days when they nap. Together. Peacefully. Which for mom means about 2 hours of completely solitary, quiet, do-whatever-I-want time. Unfortunately my guard will be up for the first hour, since that's apparently Moose's maximum length of time he can lay in bed without being asleep, before he decides he has to go to the potty or tell me he's done napping. Nonetheless, it's my time, and since I've already started the day off to a good start by letting myself feel pretty, I'm feeling pretty productive.

This does not mean I will clean for 2 hours while the kids are sleeping. Goodness, no. I have a feeling there are moms like that. Who use every alone second they get cleaning or doing chores, or doing things that are for people other than themselves. To you I say: Take a break! If I don't get at least one relaxing hour a day (before hubby comes home at 5:30) to myself, I'm not a happy mom. This does not include laundry, cleaning, dishes, or anything else devoted to someone else. If I'm in the right mood, I might decide to do dishes because it makes me feel like I did something good for the family that day. However, this time is for me. I may watch a tv show on the computer, do a blog :), sew, read, whatever on earth strikes my fancy. With only two children, this may be a leisure I won't have a few children down the road. (Don't know how many we'll end up with, so don't ask.)

**cue elevator music while Monkey is crying.....give her binky back.....tell Moose he can NOT get out of bed....and we're back**

So, as I was saying. Umm...yeah, I like to take that nap time to do something for me. Everyone should do the same. It's healthy. :)

Speaking of that nap time, I'd better get to it before I have another interruption. I'm only 10 minutes in. I've got another 50 before I know they're actually going to stay asleep. Better enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment