The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, February 22

When kids are quiet...

It's like parenting rule #1 (or at least in the top 5) that when kids are quiet, they are undoubtedly getting into trouble.  Okay, 99% of the time. I've had a few in our 3 1/2 years of parenting when Moose has been quietly looking at books, or pushing around his cars. So today, my "too quiet" moment wasn't noticed until well after the damage had been done. Monkey had been playing in the bathroom. We have long since taken toilet paper off the rolls, put the trash cans on the backs of the toilets, etc. They were officially Monkey-proof. I say were because she's apparently tall enough now to reach the tops of the counters. So anything along the edge is fair game for her. Today, that was a roll of toilet paper. I went in who knows how long after she had been in there to find the toilet paper had been gnawed all over, and a reasonably small amount (considering what could've been done) was unrolled on the floor, equally chewed upon. I do somewhat thank my lucky stars she didn't have a go at the entire roll. It's wasn't a new one, but had a good amount on it. However, I blame the luck on cotton mouth. You can only chew on so much toilet paper before your mouth gets a bit dry.

As for the rest of the day, well, it was pretty horrible. These do happen from time to time. Unfortunately for me, my hubs also had a rough day at work, so by the time he got home we were both spent, and had a good 1 1/2 hours of feeding, PJ-ing and putting to bed to do.

My two insights from today. Okay, maybe 3. There was a lot going on. First is, discipline is such a rough issue. I used to be determined that I wouldn't be a spanking parent. Well, once you let that cat out of the bag, it's really hard to put back in. I still don't like the concept of spanking (outside of some instances where a nice swat can grab your kids attention before walking onto a busy highway type of thing.) Anyway, discipline is such a sticky issue. Every family is different, and every child in that family is different. You really have to find what style works best for each and every kid. What a lot of work! Ugh. Anyhow, Moose and I butt heads a bit today. It was miserable. Once a day starts out that way, it's so hard to turn it around sometimes. After my inspirational post last night about recognizing how my attitude affects my kids, I totally had a grouch-fest today. Grr. I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

Another lesson from today is that I have complete and utter respect and admiration for single parents. Me and my hubs were just dragging our feet to get to bedtime for our two tonight. We both had rough days (mine including a really nasty steam burn from the rice cooker, partially thanks to Monkey who insisted on being held, which led to me opening the cooker with the left hand, which I never do, and totally burning myself with steam. Arg.) but thankfully, we have each other to lean on. What a relief. There are so many reasons why parents are out there doing it along, be it death, divorce, armed forces, or even a really rough work schedule between two parents. I know two of my sisters must feel like single parents half the time. Their husbands work tons, and one also works and her schedule usually fills in the gaps her hubbies doesn't. So when they're home, they're like single parents. Crazy! I always say that I'm too needy to have my hubs gone much. I do believe that's true. But I still feel totally greedy and selfish sometimes that I have him when so many people do it alone all the time. You deserve a parenting award. All of you.

And to end this insane day full of, well, insanity, I leave you with something to get you through to tomorrow morning. Every night before we go to bed, we always check on the kids. It's not something we've always done, but started doing a while back. If you've never watched them, give it a try. Sleeping children (I'm sure there are exceptions. Luckily mine aren't.) are angels. Sometimes they're funny angels, but they're angels. I've always said that looking so sweet while they sleep is my kid's greatest redeeming quality. No matter how horrible the day was, I will go in at night and make sure they're not sleeping in a position that will drain all the blood from any appendages and usually sigh at how sweet they look. That last glimpse of my gems can sometimes erase all the negative and horrible things that happened that day. It helps me sleep at night and wake up somewhat refreshed and possibly rejuvenated for the next day. If you ever need a boost before going to sleep, take a peek at your sleeping kids. Or if you don't have any, ask someone else if you can peek at theirs. ;)

Too bad adorable sleeping kids won't take away my nasty burn... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment