The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Tuesday, March 30

Family vacations...

Well, as I said, we just got back from an impromptu family vacation. I say impromptu because it was originally just our family going out there, then we added the grandparents, and eventually 2 of my hub's brothers and their 3 kids per family were all coming.

Now, we've never had all 8 of our kids and all together in one place before. This was a small place, too. So we were both kind of prepared for, well, mass chaos.

To my pleasant surprise, it was not complete chaos. At times there was mild confusion mixed with exhaustion, but not chaos.  Had this been my side of the family, it would've been a totally different story (any of you who are part of that family, I'm sure, would totally agree.) But my hub's family is so great. I won't go into detail. Just to say that for so many children (ages 10, 7, 4, 3, 2, almost 1, and twins of 9 months) and 9 adults, it went pretty great.

When you get that many kids, and parents, in one small space, it can often lead to conflicts. (As I've learned in my very few years of parenting.) But since all adults involved were easy going, and tried to be respectful of each other's space, it went great. Phew!

I thought I'd have a lot more to say about the vacation, but thankfully I don't. Yay for a successful family vacation!

Since we've returned, the kids are still getting better (since they actually got worse while we were there.) We took Monkey to the doctor today just to get a check-up, since she's been battling colds for the longest amongst us 4. Turns out she has an ear infection. Who knew? We've never had an ear infection with our kids yet. This is the first. The only thing I've heard about them is that the best symptom is when your kid starts  being really cranky/crabby for no reason. There really aren't any other symptoms (unless they happen to tug at their ears.) Monkey hasn't been really crabby or anything, and doesn't really tug at her ears. So we had no idea. But we're excited to see what happens when she finishes her meds. Maybe she'll become this uber pleasant kid. Who knows?

Today's moment: Fed Monkey some broccoli today. She ate a few unfortunately-over-steamed pieces. I was pleased. On the other hand, Moose had 2 peeps today (yellow covered sugar balls mascarading as baby chicks, which I admit I used to love as a kid, and teenager, and possibly young adult). Granted, he "earned" them, having one after lunch, and the other after dinner. I didn't know he was going to eat 2. He picked them from his easter eggs he got from a hunt Saturday. Next time I'll space out the sugar-overdose.

No comments:

Post a Comment