The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, March 22

Show and Tell

Well, really it's more like "Show, not tell." Something we've had to do lately with Moose. He's such an emotional little guy. Here's a typical exchange, that happens multiple times a day.

Moose: I want to have a cookie.
Us: Then you need to eat your dinner.
M: But I don't want to eat this.
U: Then you don't get a cookie.
M: But I want a cookie!
U: Then eat your dinner!

As you can tell, this sort of circular conversation gets really old, really fast. Bless my hubs' heart, he came up with this new system. He knows he's supposed to eat his food if he wants any dessert. When he starts complaining about eating, we ask him if he wants any dessert. He says yes. We say, "Show me. Don't tell me."

This has worked wonders for him. I don't know why, and I don't know if this is the sort of things any kid would respond to. But it works for him. It gets his emphasis off of talking about it, and showing us with his actions.

I don't always remember to use this strategy, unfortunately, but I'm getting better. Just like the other night, I forget to use a strategy with him when he flipped out at the Pinewood Derby. One of these days, I'll remember all the tricks and tips I'm constantly learning so I can avoid these things that are avoidable.

Mothering Pick-Me-Up: My super sweet sister-in-law read some blogs here and left me the sweetest comment, making me feel pretty great. It just made me stop and think. I don't know if any mother hears often enough that she's doing a good job, and doing her best, and people recognize it and appreciate it. I have a few amazing people in my life (my hubs included), like her, who constantly tell me I'm doing a good job. I don't think I could keep doing a good job without such awesome support. So take a minute sometime this week and think of mothers you know who might need to be reminded that they're great moms and doing a great job. And don't count out those people who look like they have it all together, and you assume they don't need to hear it. Some people have better public faces than others. I'm not one of those, but some people do, and you may not know it, but they need to hear that more than anything. So take some time this week, and tell those other mothers in  your life that they're wonderful, and amazing!

And don't forget to tell your actual mothers too. I know mine is fantastic, and I'm grateful for her everyday! Love you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment