The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Wednesday, March 17

Finding the time...

Today was one of those days for me when I had an undercurrent of grumpiness for reasons unknown to me. But I was aware of it, so I tried to temper myself. This week, ever since daylight savings, I've been taking time in the early evening (either before or after dinner, depending on when the hubs gets home) to go out on a trail near our home. It's such a great opportunity for free, good for you exercise. I love exercising, but a gym membership isn't in our budget, and those can become so time consuming with a drive there and back, making sure you have someone to watch the kids, etc.

Anyhow, so I've been taking to the trail this week in an effort to get myself in shape. Ever since I stopped nursing the Monkey at 7 months, the weight has been a little more than I usually carry, and I'm not too happy about it. I've been trying to eat well, but I'm one of those bodies that needs cardio, or it's just not going to happen.

So after a somewhat frustrating day, I was about to give up on my evening outing. Then I (with the loving support of my hubs, of course) changed my mind and went out for a walk. My whole body has been pretty darn sore this week, so I decided that if I'm feeling really sore or in pain, I'll just take a fast walk instead of jogging/running. Once I got out, I found a song on my mp3 player that got me going, and even ended up jogging for a portion of my time. I only went out for maybe 20-30 minutes. But it was just what I needed to reset myself, as well as take care of myself.

You can't be a good parent if you're not taking care of yourself. If you don't get enough sleep, you'll be grouchy with your kids. If you're not eating right, your body will pay the price, as will your energy.

If you do get enough sleep, take care of your body and try to get some type of regular (that doesn't mean every day, just consistent) exercise, you will reap the rewards. And as a parent, energy is such a major reward, and so necessary.

So, today's lessons relearned: Take care of yourself, so you can better take care of your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment