The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Wednesday, March 24

Rule #1

Yes, there is officially a Rule #1.

1. Do not make Monkey cry.

Of course, I don't want Moose doing this merely because I say, "Don't make her cry!" But, for now it's a more direct approach to the million other conversations we're going to have. "Don't kick/push/hit/shove/ her!" "Don't take things out of her hands!" "Stop dragging her across the floor!" And so on.

I so specifically remember these types of complaints growing up (coming from me, the youngest of 7) "Mom! He hit me!" Brother then says, "I barely touched her!" Mom then says, "*Brother's name*, don't hit your sister."

I would like him to learn why those things aren't okay, and we'll slowly have those conversations, I'm sure. But for now, these encounters are happening so frequently, I'm afraid for now that Rule #1 is just going to have to do.

Parenting moment: This isn't anything really special or funny, just one of those things. Me and the kids are all somewhat sick, all at different levels and symptoms. Anyway, poor little Monkey had the most of it yesterday, so she went to bed at 6:30. She then proceeded to sleep in until 9:30. She took one nap from 1:30 to 5:30. She then went to bed shortly after 7. The lesson I'm reminded of it, look at her signs, her needs, not what we assume she wants. We thought for sure she would be up tonight since she woke up from her nap so late. However, she was fussy and clingy, so we put her down. To our logic, she should've stayed awake a lot more since she had already had so much sleep. But we followed along with what her body needs, and she went down to bed at a little after 7 without a cry. Kids bodies are so amazing, and know what they need, and when you learn the signs, you can tell exactly what they need. (to a certain extent of course.) It reminds me of when I'm pregnant. I'll go through occasions when I crave very specific things. Sometimes it's meat, other times bread, etc. I've learned to listen to my body when I'm pregnant, because if I do, I usually am able to discern what it is my body needs. It's a pretty neat thing. I'm not like this all the time, but it's a neat thing. Anyhow, long paragraph for all that.

Kid's may not be able to express what they need (although they learn quickly to tell you what they want) but their bodies are pretty horrible liars.

No comments:

Post a Comment