The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Wednesday, March 31

Inspiration...

So today I finally saw the movie that got this whole idea going, Julie & Julia. For those of you who happen not to know of it, it's a true story of a girl who cooked her way through Julia Child's cookbook in one year and blogged her experience. I was so struck by this idea of blogging about something you love and are passionate about, that I came up with this.

I get excited about lots of things, I have tons of interests and hobbies. But in the end, the only thing I thought of that I really love doing, and that means the world to me (which wasn't her pre-requisite) was my kids, and therefore, parenting.

Instead of doing a blog about how great my kids are (which would be pretty boring for others, and there might be days when all I have to say is: they're so sweet when they're sleeping.) I opted for parenting. I was also inspired by my sweet high school friend who is pregnant with her first child, and I think (being the perfectionist type) is pretty freaked out about the whole idea.  Parenting is pretty daunting, but in the end it becomes your day to day. And that's how we take it, one day at a time.

I still remember when me and the hubs were first thinking of getting pregnant. We had been married for almost 1 year. My sis-in-law had just had a baby and we were watching her for an afternoon. Maybe a few hours. My niece slept on our bed, cuddled in a blanket, while we played Skip-bo next to her. I remember us thinking, "Hey, we can do this."

Now, I know how that this is a very inaccurate portrayal of babies and life with a baby. That's what makes that memory so funny. Our first baby was not that way. AT ALL.  Our second was. She was one of those babies that people say make you want to have another one. And we do. Eventually. (My hubs was worried that if we had another Moose-baby we would be done. Phew, that didn't happen.)

So, now, I blog once a day (although even in this I'm not perfect. Which I attribute to the joys of which I blog. Parenting is not an exact science. Maybe if I had wifi and a laptop, I'd get the gusto to blog in bed on those days when I don't have much left. But since I don't, and it requires me coming out to the living room, and possibly turning the computer back on,which takes at least 5 minutes from start to finish before I can log onto the internet... You see what I mean.)

I don't know who I'm doing this for. If it's for me, and my own voyage of self-discovery. If it's for others, who really don't know what parenting is like (because, honestly, who without kids actually knows what parenting is like.) Or for some other reason yet to be discovered. All I do know is this: I do enjoy the reflecting and extra thought that goes into my parenting when I know I want to share it with others. I do love parenting and my children. It's the toughest job in the world, and anyone who says otherwise isn't a parent. It takes more love out of me than I knew I had. It is the most rewarding job in the world, although I'd say it's can easily break your heart at the same time. My children are very possibly the greatest achievement I have had in my 26 years of living. Granted, I've not done a lot of great things in the perspective of the world, but still.

I haven't been writing this blog for very long, but I do intend to keep doing so. If not for others, than for me. To remind myself of the joys and struggles of parenting, so that I can always remember why I'm doing it, and always, always keep a light heart about it.

I love my family. My husband (the best 6 years and 3 months of my life) and my absolutely adorable, and precocious children. My life has changed in ways I could never have imagined since they came into my life, and I wouldn't change one second of it. Not one.

1 comment:

  1. I am totally freaked out. The fact that I feel like I'm dying 24/7 doesn't help either. I can't help but think of all the things that could possibly go wrong, or how difficult things are going to be. I'm scared of how much my life is going to change and whether or not I'm ready for it all.

    PJ

    ReplyDelete