The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Thursday, March 4

Why I love my husband...

To pre-empt this post, I again give a huge cookie (the ultimate reward) to anyone who parents alone.

Today was a decent day with me and kids. I tried my bestest to not be sick (although I still allowed myself to take a nap with Monkey in the morning to stave off the coughs.) Moose and I did "school" and had a decent day. However, then naptime came. Moose has now gone two days without a nap. Today was a no-compromise day. Nap was happening. However, to my utter surprise and dismay, Moose's nap DID NOT happen. I know some kids his age already go without. However, my kid does. I've recently thought about toning them down. Maybe letting him stay up once or twice a week. But I know my kid and know that he can't handle that many days in a row without one. He gets to be one grouchy piece of work. Anyway, by the time the hubs came home, I was one semi-unhappy camper. (I made him sit on the couch for like 1 hour until he came home. He was not happy about being stuck on the couch. But it was that or bed. He told me he didn't like either. Oh well.)

Now, the hubs was already going to run a grocery run tonight because we were in dire need and I'm the sickie in the house. But did he stop there? No. Not only did he do the grocery run, with the new WIC checks (that are great since they now include things like fresh fruit, and don't overload you on milk, but they do take significantly more time), but he took not one, but two kids! He strapped Monkey to his chest with the Baby Bjorn, and made Moose sit in the grocery cart (no, not in the big part, but in the little seat. I wish I could've seen it. Moose is not a dainty 3 1/2 year old.) I was able to take a relaxing shower, make dinner in a quiet house with music playing, do dishes, clean and set the table, as well as peruse facebook. It was awesome. I love my hubs!

I know that everyone thinks their spouse is the best in the world. I don't doubt that it's true. I guess what I can say is that mine is the best in the world for me. I am grateful every single day for him and couldn't imagine each one without him.

So today's parenting tip is: Be grateful for the support you have. If it's a spouse, parent, in-law, sibling, partner, significant other, neighbor, grandparent, adopted family member, whatever. Tell them thank you. Tell them how much you appreciate them.

And then the next time you really need help: Ask for it. (People are so much more willing to help when they feel appreciated and recognized.) There's so much wisdom in the saying "It takes a village to raise a child." It's a tough job. Sure, people do it alone all the time, but I don't think a single one of those people wants to do it alone. Don't ever be ashamed or afraid to ask for help. Ever. Parenting is hard, kids are unrational and somewhat selfish little beings (it's only nature. They'll learn as they get older.) Asking for help might be hard, but it might be the best thing you can do. For you and your kids.

Here's to you hubs. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment