The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, October 4

Discipline Day...

Today wasn't a bad day, just have to say that. But there was one huge moment that made me think about discipline. Let me lay it out for you.

Shortly before the hubs came home, Moose was gearing up to play his vSmile on the tv. Monkey, however, likes to play with the power buttons on it. So, of course, he starts telling her no and putting his hands over the buttons. This, of course, makes her angry. I was sitting right next to them at the time. So I ask him to step back so I can handle her quietly and on my own. But he refused to move his hands from infront of the buttons. He moved his body away, but wouldn't give up. I asked him multiple times to move back, but he wouldn't do it. So I snapped at him to back off and he responded by throwing his controller on the ground and throwing a fit. To which I immediately said, "Go to the corner." To which he began to throw an even larger fit. Complete with screaming and flailing limbs. Now, his limbs are getting pretty darn big, so it can be hazardous. I proceeded to pick him up and take him to the corner. In the process, getting hit by said limbs the whole way. He was full on screaming at this point, and well, my tone of voice wasn't much better. I guess pregnancy has made me a bit more emotional than I realized. He sat in the corner and cried for a while.

During his tantrum, Monkey kept wanting to be near him, which he doesn't like. So I looked at her and said no, shaking my head. She gave me an unhappy look, so I just started ignoring her. Then she starts bawling too. I wanted the hubs to walk in at that exact moment so he could see the insanity for himself. But he didn't.

Anyway, Moose eventually calmed down and we had a big talk. Monkey moved from one tantrum to another after that point. I didn't take a really deep breath until they were both in bed.

It's been a long time since Moose has acted that way. I didn't enjoy the flashback. We're finding Monkey's misbehaviors are becoming more intentional, and you'd better believe she's going to learn the meaning of time out and I don't think she's going to like it as much. (75% of the time now, she thinks time out is cool.) Monkey's biggest thing now is screaming at us. It's very intentional and really obnoxious. We'll see how it goes.

I'm hosting Moose's preschool group tomorrow. I've got some sweet stuff planned. Hope it all goes as planned! (Because does it ever?)

1 comment:

  1. Been there done that, oh everyday. as far as Monkey yelling at you, well K does the SAME thing. she sticks her lips out furrows her brow and changes her voice and says "YOU DONT PUT ME IN TIMEOUT!" or whatever. The other Day she launched herself at Trav blaming him for putting her sippy in the sink. It was actually quite comical, but she was yelling at him, which isnt appropriate at that age. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete