The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Sunday, October 10

Picky Eater...

I can't really talk about being a picky eater. I was a very picky eater growing up and didn't broaden my horizons until after I was married. Even more so until after Monkey was born, for some odd reason. But with kids, you have no idea what their tastes and preferences will be. We're not super tolerant of picky eaters (gotta avoid creating more like me, right?) and make our kids eat a little of everything. Because of it, (and probably because he's like the hubs) Moose is a fantastic eater and eats a wide variety of things, that makes a Mama proud. But Monkey is still a bit young and getting teeth, so she still can't handle the full gamut of foods. This makes her occasional picky bouts harder to deal with. She's currently getting all 4 canines at the same time, giving her occasional discomfort and food issues. Today was one of those days. Outside of Ritz crackers, milk or juice, she hardly touched a thing. Even foods she generally loves, like saltines or grapes. She had a few strawberries from our dessert, but otherwise didn't want anything. We even offered her a fruit bar, which are her favorite, and she turned it down and asked for milk. What do you do? I try not to let myself get up in arms over it, because with my kiddos, this sort of thing generally doesn't last longer than a day or two at most. And the last 2 days, the hubs has spent more time with her during meals, so I can't really account for what's been going on. I'm usually the food giver with her, so I know how to read her signals and body language really well. I may be more persuasive or convincing about making her eat a reasonable amount of decent food too. But whenever they're teething, I try to let things slide knowing that by tomorrow she's going to be hungry, and when she finally decides she wants to eat, I'll be there with something yummy and nutritious.

1 comment:

  1. Give her some Tylenol or whatever it is you use to help sore teeth. Let her eat what she wants, because anything is good at this point, as long as she's eating something, and it'll pass in a few days. good luck. It's always hard when they're teething. No fun!

    ReplyDelete