The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Sunday, April 18

The battle begins...

So today, the real battle broke out. Although I must say that I already feel much better about our position after some long talking with the hubs today. I don't know how many readers I really have outside of the few close family/friends who have commented. But I wanted to open this up to all my "readers" to share and comment. So much of parenting is learning new strategies and tactics and one of the best ways to get them is from other people. Me and my hubs can only go so far with ideas without some outer input. So I'm putting it to all of you who read this random little blog to share with everyone else that maybe we can all learn something. (but really, especially me, because we seriously need some new tools in the toolbox.)

Today at church, Moose threw a fit. He was with the hubs at the time. The frustration, or reason he threw it, was understandable (he was told he couldn't go play with the cars and kid behind us anymore.) but the way it was done, on the parent part, was very good. My hubs was patient and reasonable. He had lots of appropriate entertainment where we were sitting. But when this happened, Moose just chose to throw a massive fit and had to be carried out into the hallway. My hubs was super frustrated. (Just like my fits from the trip to the library a few weeks ago, and just recently last Friday at the park.)

He ended up taking Moose and Monkey home (I had responsibilities at church that day, so I stayed.) and Moose took an early nap.  Ultimately, our frustrations lied in the following: *He's too old to be having these types of major tantrums, and they're usually over very small things, not nearly worthy of the tantrums. *He's literally too big to throw these tantrums. Most of the time, I can't physically pick him up to make him go to the car, etc. because he's too big. (He's almost 4, but he's already to my waist and probably weighs somewhere over 40 lbs.) *We are very reasonable and patient, and in the end, all of our good faith efforts are for naught, which is really frustrating. We try to be really understanding with him, and his perspective, but in the end we're the parents and know what's best.

So. ultimately our solution is that if he throws a fit at home, he loses an easter egg. (I know, how silly and simple, but I have an explanation why I think it's going to be effective.) If we're out and about and he throws a fit, he's going to lose and egg, and we're going to come straight home and he'll be put to bed. So far today, anytime he's started throwing a fit, we'll ask him if he wants to lose an egg, and he'll immediately cut it out.

So, why do I think (hope, really) this will be successful. One, it worked with the obnoxious "why" questions. He hasn't done it in days. (little hooray for me!) Second, (I should probably say two, since I started with one, huh?) as I posted a few days ago, I'm realizing Moose is a very visual learner. We keep his stash of easter eggs on the counter in a bowl, so he can see them. When we take them away, he can see that there aren't as many. I think that's why it works for him. It's visual and more tangible.

Anyway, that's our battle from today, and our current battle tactic. Now, to you. I would love to hear your input. What do your kids, neighbor's kids, nephews, grandkids do? How do you handle their tantrums? What's worked for you? What hasn't worked? Why? (It's always nice to know what not to try.) I would really love any input you have. (And I'll admit I'm slightly curious if I have any readers out there that I don't know about who might be so nice as to comment and let me know they're there.) One of the best ways to learn new ideas and ways to manage is from other parents and their experiences. Every day I'm sharing my life and kids. I don't know if I'm helping anyone, but maybe this can be a way for me to be helped by others. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a perfect parent. I know I can pretty much constantly use help and advice from others. So here's your chance to shine. Please do share.

Looking forward to what you have to say...

1 comment:

  1. I think the taking away of an egg is a good idea. Though this time if he earns them back then the threat starts to lose its weight. So toss 'em. I don't know what else to tell you. C throws fits of the like often, but usually it is a sensory thing that his compression vest or his 6lb blanket take care of for him. Though like you he will lose a privilege or any baked goods/ candy that I have in the house.

    ReplyDelete