The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Wednesday, April 14

See?

So I'm pleased to say that I'm learning more and more about my kids as time goes on. (Thank goodness!)  In the past few days I've been learning more about how Moose learns. Meaning to say, which methods work best for him.

Every morning Moose and I do school together. I read scriptures to him, he learns a word and number in spanish, practices writing a letter, sings a song, recites a quote, we do activity books, and are currently learning from Usborne's Encyclopedia of Seas and Oceans. It's something different every day. But the structure is what he craves (even if he doesn't know it) and he's so darn bright. I feel like the kid could start kindergarten this coming fall.

Anyway, to the point. I've realized he is a very visual learner. Since we've been working with the Encyclopedia each day, I've realized he is learning so much faster. With each page we go over, I write down vocab words and we review them every day. He has learned ocean, seabed, submarine, gills, fins, predator, prey, camouflage, coral reef, school (as in school of fish), poison, and symbiosis. We have yet to review the last two, but he knows the meanings of all the other words. (For the most part, and in his 3 1/2 year old way) He's quite taken with the predator idea. Anytime he sees a big, intimidating looking fish, he calls it a predator. It's really pretty cute.

So I'm pleased with myself (so selfish, I know, right?) for realizing the way he learns. It makes all the difference in the world. If I can now utilize this more often, I think I'll find he learns even faster than he already does.

Before I know it, the little rascal will be smarter than me. Good grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment