The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Tuesday, May 25

First Child Syndrome...

So I read something years ago that talked about how your placement in the family will often give you certain characteristics, etc. First children have the most easily distinguished, I think. I've realized a lot about why they say these things since I've had my own children. Here's my version.

Why Moose will be different than our other children:
*He will be the recipient of our worst parenting since we're still figuring out what on earth we're doing and he has to deal with it the longest. (And will remember the most of it too.)
*He, being the eldest and who Monkey looks up to, has to be the good example. i.e. "Moose, do xyz the right way. Be a good example to Monkey."
*He, being the only child for a small 3 years, was micromanaged way more than any of our other children will ever be. Some of those habits die hard, for him and for us. So he'll be used to a lot more grief.

I'm sure there are other things that go along with this. The reason I started thinking about this came in our trip to the library today.

As we were leaving the apartment, he went down the stairs first. As Monkey was waiting for me to pick her up she watched him go down the stairs. He had one hand on the wall as he went down. She decided she wanted to go down the same way he did. So she held my hand and went down the stairs one foot per stair the entire way down. (She did really well, I might add.)  Then, if this weren't enough, on the way back to the house after our trip to the library, she watched Moose go up the stairs. She then decided she wanted to walk up the stairs as well. So she held my hand and took the stairs one foot per step. On the second half, she even held onto the hand rail.

So as much as it pains you first children, it's not our fault. Your younger siblings are watching, and it's so much easier for us parents if you are just a good example so we don't have to re-teach them everything.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment