The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Thursday, May 20

Let it go...

I realized yesterday, after a little to-do at the library that sometimes I'm just too stingy and need to let things go. I'll explain why after the story.

It's nothing really big. We went to the library and while we were there, Moose comes up to me and says "I have to go potty." I hate taking my kids to public bathrooms. It's so much work. They're usually dirtier, in general, and when I've got 1 year old Monkey crawling around on the floor trying to find Moose, well, let's just say eww. So I give him this really mean-mommy look and grumble about how he should've gone at home, which is really my fault because I didn't ask him to. Of course, after sitting down for 5 seconds, I hear the melodious sounds of, "Wipe my bum bum please." Then there's the post-fun of trying to get him to wash him hands in a public bathroom, which is always iffy because he can't always reach the sink, not to mention the soap. All in all, it wasn't a bad experience, but I had a really bad attitude.

I thought about this later and after some pondering, scolded myself. I didn't ask him to go before we left for the library. For pete's sake, the kid had to go. At least he's never soiled himself in a public place. He's never even wet the bed. What more do I want from the poor kid? But before I beat myself up too badly, I realized why it is that I reacted the way that I did. (I'm not about to excuse myself, but find the source for my negative attitude, so as to correct it next time.) I realized that I have a very poignant memory of all of our horrendous public bathroom experiences. I do not like taking my kids to public bathrooms. Period. But sweet, little Moose doesn't remember all of these experiences. He can hardly remember what we did yesterday, unless it involves ice cream. So when he came to me in the public library, I instantly recalled all of our uncomfortable public bathroom experiences and had a super negative attitude towards him for his very natural urge to take care of business.

So, lesson learned. Make sure you are reacting to the present situation, and not past experiences. So, the next time Moose comes to me in a public place and says "I need to go potty." I will not give him "the face", but will kindly say, "Thank you for letting me know. Let's go to the bathroom." Well, I'll try to do that anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment