The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, August 23

Because I Said So...

So I don't recall if I've posted about this or not, but if I did, excuse me for ranting (okay, expounding) on it again. I caught myself saying this to Moose today (totally not the first time, won't be the last) and stopped and thought, why do I do that? Here's my conclusion.

Sometimes it's just easier to say that to a kid than taking the time to explain your thought process and ultimate conclusions. Here was our scenario today:

Moose left his babies (the two doll/blankets he sleeps with) on the dinner table. While we were eating, Monkey starts to play with one. He wants to take it away. I tell him no. It will only make her very angry, and he knows they're supposed to stay in bed, so it's really his fault she has it anyhow. Later on, he ends up with one of them, and goes to put it away. He wants to put the other one away (which she still has) and I say no. He asks why, and I think the above reasons (it's his fault anyway, it will only make her really angry) but say to him, "Because I said so."  I probably could've taken the time to explain it all to him, but at the time it just seemed like way too much energy to put into something he probably didn't really care about hearing anyhow. (Meaning, he wouldn't have really been better off with my explanation and ultimately was probably just asking the question for the sake of asking it.)

So, my oldest kiddo is 4, and I'm completely a "Because I Said So" Mom, and I totally stand by it. There are times when I take the time to explain things to Moose, if I think it will really be beneficial or helpful to him, but I just don't do it every time. So I stand by my mom phrase, and encourage all your other parents to do likewise. I'm considering it a privilege of parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment