The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Sunday, July 11

Sunday...

As I hoped it would be, today was a calming day. Moose and Monkey both slept in, church was tantrum free, naps happened, and it was relaxing.  We have been working on a new rewards/incentive program for good behavior with Moose. He loves fruit snacks. So I bought a box and dumped them all out into one of my handy empty peanut butter jars. (wonderful for snacks/storage. LOVE them.)  Whenever we see him do something that is a "big boy" choice, or something unexpected which we appreciate, we give him a fruit snack. We tell him we recognized whatever it was he did and appreciate him making such a good choice all on his own. The first one was prompted when I saw him putting away his legos. The bag is starting to rip underneath the zipper and I caught him shoving them through the hole instead of putting them in the right way. I told him once the bag was broken we wouldn't have another one and I wouldn't know what to do with his legos. Anyhow, this particular day I asked him to put some legos away and he went, opened the bag by the zipper and put them away. I was so pleased that he did it the right way, and wanted to make sure he really knew I saw what he did, so I gave him a fruit snack. He knows he can't ask for them, or point out his "big boy" behaviors in hopes of getting a fruit snack.

Today he was making a lot of those big boy choices and I was so pleased. He got a tootsie roll at church and on the way home, he told the hubs that he wanted to cut it in two pieces so that Monkey could have some. We were so struck by his self-motivated sharing. It was very sweet and unprompted. It's so nice to have a day like this after a few days of not so great behavior. I guess it reminds me that he is growing and maturing, even though it doesn't show every day.

We're getting ready for a wedding in a few weeks. The hub's older brother is getting married. My sister in law found a dress for Monkey to wear that matches their colors. I tried it on first thing and it fit so great! (even though it's a 3T.)  I'm going to take it up in the shoulders about an inch and she'll be wedding-ready! Now I just have to find matching fabric to make Moose a bow tie. He's the ring bearer. He's going to be so darn cute. I can't wait. I was just telling the bride-to-be that I hope he doesn't do something weird down the aisle, like shake uncontrollably or stick his tongue out and wag it at everyone. But she reassured me that they like his silliness and wouldn't mind one bit. He's never been to a wedding, let alone be in one. I'm really excited for this wonderful family event. It's going to be awesome!

Tomorrow will prove to be busy, with a trip to a magic show on the schedule. I just know that after tomorrow, Moose will want to be a magician, or be a magician for Halloween, or start making things "disappear" all over the house. As long as he remembers to make them reappear, I'll try to be a nice Mom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment