The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Friday, February 18

Potty Training and Hitting...

Today I was pulling out the newborn clothes to get them washed and to start organizing our new baby space. It was pretty fun. The kids got to look at how tiny the clothes are. I think even Monkey understood a little bit. Whenever we talk about the baby she says "Mama, baby." and will point to my tummy. After talking about the clothes being for the baby, she said "Baby, out." I told her no, the baby's not ready to come out yet. But it made me think she might really be understanding a little bit. Part of our organizing was moving around some of her diaper stuff from the changing table. (Which we don't use for diaper changing for her anymore, just storage. Haven't used it since she was much smaller.) Part of the organizing involved old pull-ups from Moose and some that we inherited. She was very fascinated with these, and wanted to wear them. So I told her to sit on the potty and she could wear one. So today we had a bit of potty training. She sat on it before sleeping, after sleeping, and every hour or so inbetween. She only went once, but I count it as a success. Especially since we started mid-morning. But I talked to the hubs about it and he's down with putting her on it first thing in the morning (since he'll be the one with her.) and we'll see how tomorrow goes. I don't think she's exactly ready. She'll turn 2 mid-April. But if this helps her to become more aware, that's a step in the right direction. Having her not be afraid of the potty is a good thing too. Heck, if I can get her to poop in there, I'll be jazzed. It seems like so many kids have issues with #2 and the potty. Moose didn't, but I'd hate to have her be weird about it. So, seems like we're sorta potty training a bit. Or more like, potty familiarizing.

After we put the kids down, perhaps 10 minutes later, Monkey came out crying. I made Moose tell me the truth about why she was crying and he admitted to hitting her in the cheek with one of his dolls he sleeps with. (It's relatively soft, thank goodness. But still.) She was okay, but as we were getting them re-settled, I went to her and was talking with her. She looked at me and said "Moose, hit." showing me a "hit" with her hands, which is how she used to talk about hitting. I don't think I'd ever heard her say the word. She said it to me a few times (of course, using his name. She doesn't call him Moose.) and everytime she said it she looked sad/mad. It was so cute/sad. I will be happy for her to be able to communicate to us, though, when he does something to her so she stops getting in trouble for things he does or coerces her into doing. These new verbal skills are certainly going to pay off for her. (Which, by the way, her word list is literally increasing daily. It's amazing!)

Officially 6 weeks to go. 5 til Mom comes. Last night I slept awful. But by 8 this morning, I figured out a more comfortable way. So perhaps tonight I can sleep better the whole night. This discomfort is certainly making me feel more eager to have the baby, which up until now I've been very non-chalant about when she comes. I guess discomfort is a necessary part of feeling ready for me.

1 comment: