The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, June 14

Let's read...

Today Moose and I signed up at our wonderful local library for their children's summer reading program. I'm sure you're thinking, "Reading program? He's not even 4. He can't read books." And you are right. He can't. But it counts if he's listening. So we're doing that. For every 5 hours he reads, he will earn a prize. They have a board at the library showcasing some prizes, including a movie-sized box of starburst. That's the first thing he saw and I'm sure he'll want to have it. He can only get 2 prizes total. They're doing it in 2 sessions, each session 5 weeks long. So if he reads 1 hour a week (okay, listens) then he'll be able to earn a prize after the first session is done.

Can I say that I'm super excited about this? We got some new books at the library. I tried to find some that looked a bit longer, maybe more involved. I don't want this to be horribly boring for me. There's a set of books that involve Franklin the turtle. Each story takes us about 5 minutes, so it's a nice one to read and keep track of our time with.  We read a total of 20 minutes today. (He had me read 3 Franklin stories instead of the usual 1.) Any extra minutes we read will be counted towards some great program that will end up with books being donated to the library, or something like that. In my excitement, I even checked out a Boxcar Children book. Anyone remember those? I adored them when I was younger. I perused it to see how it will go over with him. The chapters are quite short. I'll have to try it out and see if he can follow the plot at all. Or if I can explain enough for him to follow. Time will tell. I hope so. That will keep our reading time way more interesting.

So here's to some serious reading over the next 5 weeks! (Not really. We're just going to do what we normally do. I'd say on average we read to him at least 15 minutes each day anyhow. Now he'll just earn candy for it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment