The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Wednesday, June 30

Good mom day...

Today was one of those days when I pat myself on the back and say, "You did some good things. Good job." Nothing really specific, but enough of the little things that I consider it a successful day. And there were not realy major melt downs, etc.  We had busy work to do this morning, but the office we were at had toys, which always excites Moose. We were ultimately there way too long (an hour) but in the end we got some important paperwork taken care of. Then we hit up story time at the library. I forgot about an engagement with the father in law for Moose. Airplane show (not the flying kind, but the walk inside them kind) with WWII airplanes. So instead of a nap (which he desperately needed) he rested on my bed and maybe got a 45 min nap at most (which was still better than nothing.) and then headed out for special time with Grandpa. Me and the Monkey hung out for a short while before he came back (after her nap) and the rest of the evening proceeded mostly as usual. But with such a busy morning, I can't help but think, "Good job. You were really busy and did good things. The kids had a good time. You worked hard. Yay for you."

I think those moments of self-back-patting are so important as a parent. Your kids are way too young and their brains way under-developed to understand the effort and work that goes into their days. They don't fully appreciate the work you do. And that's ok. They're kids. I don't expect them to. But that means you are often left without anyone saying "Good job." "You worked hard." "Way to go." So I think it's entirely acceptable and honestly necessary for your own mental health to say these things to yourself every now and then. Goodness knows I do it all the time. I'm my biggest fan. :) (Okay, maybe after my hubs, mom and mom-in-law.) So give yourself a good pat on the back next time you know you deserve it. Or if that doesn't do it for ya, maybe an extra scoop of mint chocolate chip. :)

1 comment: