The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, June 21

Math Day...

Moose and I do school almost every week day. Recently, I decided to kick things up a notch and change them up, to make them more interesting for both of us. So today was our first day of his new school. I deemed today Math day.  He knows his numbers super well, and I found out from a cute little game with Handy Manny that he can do simple addition. So I printed out this worksheet (such a cool site!) and we worked on his addition worksheet together. They have one for subtraction too. Maybe we'll do that in a few weeks. We did a worksheet together (well, he did most of it. I just helped him remember how to write the numbers.) Amazingly, the hardest part for him was writing the answer. He does so well with his addition. We only used numbers below 5. So no answer was above 8. It was really fun. I enjoyed the variation, and I think Moose did too.

Tomorrow is History Day. We're getting a book from the library about Buffalo Bill. (Whose name I know, but honestly don't think I know anything about either.) I read that in teaching young children about history, the easiest thing to do is to read them biographies until they get old enough to understand timelines, etc. So I requested a ton of biographies from the library, including George Washington, Pocahontas, Columbus, etc.  They are all written by a recommended author partnership Edgar and Ingri D'Aulaire. I'll let you know what I think of them. I've very excited about it. Actually, I just saw that they also have Columbus and Abraham Lincoln pulled aside for me. So maybe I'll let him choose which one we read first. I'm really excited about this. The other days of the week, we'll be doing reading/writing, and science/our world. We have a great book for that too. Anyhow, that's my exciting school bit for the day.

Today's been a good day. We had a family trip to the new Super Wal-Mart. It's like a theme park for Moose. As long as he's a good boy, we let him walk down an aisle of toys. Probably the highlight of his day. Sometimes, and I stress sometimes, kids can be so easily amused. Other times it takes a fully orchestrated fireworks show. But sometimes, it's an aisle of toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment