The Mommy Chronicles. A real life, every day, look into what it's like to be a mother. The good, the bad, the pretty, the ugly, and the stinky.

Monday, November 1

The Paci...

In our house, a pacifier is called a paci (PASS-ee). Not a binky. (To me, that's a baby blanket.) Anyway, today at nap time, I felt so inspired, as it's been on my mind, to try and put Monkey down without it. I'm not completely ready to go cold turkey, all out on her. I might soon, but not yet. I have preschool Tuesday and Thursday and don't want to royally ruin the mood at the house with a cranky kid. Anyway, she went to sleep without it, but woke up 1 1/2 later (only half a nap) crying. So I went in and gave it to her. She's currently freaking out right now cause she doesn't have it. If she's still doing that when I'm done typing, I'll give it to her. I don't mind the crying really, but I feel awful for Moose, who shares her room. I know he can't fall asleep with her screaming banshee style.

But I can tell she's certainly ready for this. When she first realizes it's gone, she asks me for it (sign language) and I say it's all gone, or missing or something. Or "I don't know". (What an awful lie, right?) She didn't even cry for her nap at first. This time she was okay until I tried to shut the door. But until then she was sweet and charming and oh so generous with the eskimo kisses. (So darn cute, let me tell you.)

What do you think? Cold turkey? (That's how Moose did it.) Slow but surely? (I won't cave, that's for sure, so if I do get started, it will continue one way or another.) What's your experience?

1 comment:

  1. I went cold turkey with Carly. It was a horrible 2 or 3... or 4 days but then she was fine. With Athen we went slowly; they would get broken (aka cut with a scissors behind his back) once every day or two until they were all gone. He whimpered for one night but then was fine.

    ReplyDelete